Massive. Unprecedented. A weapon of mass destruction. That’s how cyber security experts describe the impact of the ransomware known as WannaCry that’s now sweeping the globe. In the span of just a few hours, more than 99 countries have been affected and 57,000 cases documented.
The devastating impacts are being felt everywhere. In fact, the BBC reports that the UK’s National Health Service has been victimized and patients have been turned away—with patient deaths expected as a likely result.
Protect against WannaCry
All organizations should take note that WannaCry appears to attack the Windows vulnerability known as EternalBlue and that users should patch their systems immediately with the MS17-010 security update.
For additional insights into guarding against a ransomware attack, check out these resources:
- Protect Against Ransomware - Backup Strategies That Work blog post
- Ransomware: Security or Recovery? blog post
- Relentlessly Protect Your Data From Ransomware article
- Ransomware - Fighting a Real Problem with Real Solutions webcast
- Outsmarting Ransomware with Arcserve webinar
Learn how organizations like yours are winning the fight against ransomware:
- Oxygen Resuscitates Healthcare Institutions Victimized by Malicious Ransomware Attacks case study
- Oxygen Renders Ransomware Attackers Powerless with Successful, Redundant Backup case study
It’s only a matter of time before your organization is hit by a ransomware attack. With best practices for security and regular, redundant backups in place, you’ll be empowered to recover without succumbing to ransomware attacker demands.